Sunday 29 January 2012

Ads

So I was listening to the radio today, and they play some random ads in between songs...and usually I don't really pay any attention to these, but there was one ad that the station seemed to really enjoy playing for some reason, and so it just kind of stuck in my brain.


Unfortunately, the ad was for (in my opinion) the most useless piece of garbage ever. It was trying to advertise a new tv show that's apparently coming out on channel 7 called 'Please Marry My Boy'.


Just let that title sink in for a bit. This is not a hoax, there is going to be an actual show...where mothers try and find partners for their sons.


I don't know what to be disappointed at...the creators of this abomination? channel 7 for picking up this egregious concept? the mothers/sons for agreeing to appear on this stupid show (yeah...no more big words)? or even the viewers, however few, that this show will no doubt have?


Seeing as school begins tomorrow, I hastened to google search in the hopes that the radio show was playing some sort of cruel and distasteful joke in an attempt to cheer me up, but alas my hopes were in vain. The first page of google is filled with links dedicated to the promotion of the show. Perhaps my sense of entertainment/humor had gone so out of whack these holidays that I no longer understood the meaning of 'good idea'?


What I find even more puzzling is that this show is apparently to be told from the point of view of the mother...So...will the mother be attending her son's dates? Will the show be focussing on the changing dynamics of the relationship between the mother and the girl instead of the boy and the girl? Is it going to be the mother who ends up proposing for her son?


After looking this show up on wikipedia, this is what i find:


"The premise of the show consists of a group of males speed dating a number of females. The males don't realise that their mother will choose their top three candidates. Then the girls move in with the mothers."


How could the sons possibly not 'realise that their mother will choose their top three candidates'?? THERE WILL BE FUCKING CAMERAS EVERYWHERE. It's not like the mother can just palm that off and be kind of 'Oh you know, they're just filming a documentary on our family cause we're so interesting. OH LOOK, HOW CONVENIENT, THERES A CHICK OVER THERE YOU SHOULD TALK TO, AND WHILE YOU TALK TO HER, I'LL SIT IN AND LISTEN TO YOUR WHOLE FUCKEN CONVERSATION AND SILENTLY JUDGE HER. Oh...and the cameras will also be recording everything....for the...documentary...yeah.'


The only logical reason I can think of for putting this monstrosity on the small screen is to attract viewers with the "It sounds so terrible that it MUST be funny. Therefore I MUST watch this trainwreck of a show", because if that's not the angle they're approaching it from, then channel 7 is doing tv broadcasting wrong.


As an ending comment, I will be supporting my comments above (because as English teachers say, evidence is everything) with some evidence from a...'critic' of sorts.
Racist? Perhaps, but I'd still trust this person's opinions over that of the Channel 7 employee who picked this show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment